It’s no secret, I love webOS, which is the driving force on my Palm device. You know what else I love? Word of mouth… You know who else loves this type of marketing? Yep, Apple.
Keep in mind that while HP can bring in the capital and the marketing experience, word of mouth is still key in selling just about anything. So if you love webOS and want to see it hit the big time, here’s 10 things you can do.
- Keep the Signature. If you send email via webOS, you’ve probably noticed the default signature of “- sent from my Palm XXX (in my case, Pre)”. This alone can help spread the word. And if you use your device for business? It also tells colleagues, bosses and customers that they’re uber-important because you’re responding to them while you’re out of the office.
- Offer to help – then bust out your phone. The other day I helped a guy in the grocery store find out which Probiotic yogurt was considered the best amongst all the brands the store sold. When I brought up a definitive site, zoomed in and let him take a look, he was quite impressed. We wound up talking about my Pre for several minutes.
- Demonstrate it. When people make a comment about your Pre or Pixi, be excited and take a moment to show them what it can do. For millions of cell phone users, the only interaction they’ve had with a PDA or smartphone has been via TV commercials or the Internet.
- Let them touch it. Unless your interested party is a total klutz, let him take a look. A few weeks back I handed my Pre to my father-in-law. Within seconds he was opening and closing applications, surfing the web and looking at photos. Now, his work doesn’t require anything more than a regular cell phone, but if it required more? He’d be using a Pre.
- Show off pictures. Once they see how vibrant the colors are, they’ll want to see more.
- Let them watch a Betty White / SNL clip off YouTube. Well, really, any currently popular clip will do. The goal is to show them that watching video on what they might think is too tiny a screen is actually doable and enjoyable.
- Show off a cool app. What really intrigues people are apps that are either very logical or just really cool. My favorite show-offs? Seismograph, Flashlight, Notes, Crossword and Shopping List.
- Slide out the keyboard. A big plus to the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi are the keyboards. So many people simply don’t want to be screen-tapping letters all day.
- Don’t bash the competition. Instead of spending time being so negative over Android and the iPhone, just be more positive about webOS. Good people LOVE positivity, and are more apt to pay attention to what you have to say.
- Check the weather. One of the most fundamental tools is among the most popular. People want to know if it’s going to rain or snow. They want to know what the weather is going to be next week when they take a trip or if a reported storm is headed their way.
Sure, there’s many other things toshow off – many dependent on the type of person with which you’re sharing. The key is to be enthusiastic and “teach” others just how easy webOS is to use. In short, do what the carriers should already be doing – selling the phone!
I’d love to hear your own “share” stories.
P.S. If you’re a webOS user and are on LinkedIn, feel free to join the group: webOS Enthusiasts. We talk about anything webOS.
Related: HP to Buy Palm: Here’s My Plea